Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Genes Genet Syst. 2002 Aug;77(4):243-50.

Evidence of paternal transmission of mitochondrial DNA in a nucleus-cytoplasm hybrid of timopheevi wheat.

Author information

1
Laboratory of Plant Genetics, Department of Biological and Environmental Science, Faculty of Agriculture, and Division of Life Science, Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kobe University, Rokkodai-cho, Nada-ku, Japan.

Abstract

Structural heterogeneity depicted as heteroplasmy of the mitochondrial (mt) transcriptional unit of nad3-orf156 (atp8) was studied in a nucleus-cytoplasm (NC) hybrid of Triticum timopheevi with the D plasmon from the maternal Aegilops squarrosa and compared with that of the parental lines. The tetraploid NC hybrid and the parental lines both showed varying degrees of heteroplasmy in this mtDNA region. The G plasmon of the paternal T. timopheevi possessed five sequence types, while two sequence types were detected in the D plasmon of Ae. squarrosa. The NC hybrid possessed all the five sequence types identical to those of the paternal parent in a 30% relative stochiometry. The remaining 70% comprised only one of the two maternal sequence types, suggestive of strong and selective NC interaction. No novel sequence types were detected and the relative stoichiometries of the paternal sequence types were conserved in the NC hybrid. No paternal-identical or -related sequences were detected in the maternal D plasmon. These results provide evidence of the paternal transmission of the mtDNA and possibly account for the origin of the observed mtDNA heteroplasmy in the NC hybrid.

PMID:
12419896
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for J-STAGE, Japan Science and Technology Information Aggregator, Electronic
    Loading ...
    Support Center