Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Plant Physiol. 1993 Dec;103(4):1249-1258.

Ammonium Uptake by Rice Roots (I. Fluxes and Subcellular Distribution of 13NH4+).

Author information

  • 1Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6T 1Z4 (M.Y.W., M.Y.S., A.D.M.G.).

Abstract

The time course of 13NH4+ uptake and the distribution of 13NH4+ among plant parts and subcellular compartments was determined for 3-week-old rice (Oryza sativa L. cv M202) plants grown hydroponically in modified Johnson's nutrient solution containing 2,100, or 1000 [mu]M NH4+ (referred to hereafter as G2, G100, or G1000 plants, respectively). At steady state, the influx of 13NH4+ was determined to be 1.31, 5.78, and 10.11 [mu]mol g-1 fresh weight h-1, respectively, for G2, G100, and G1000 plants; efflux was 11, 20, and 29%, respectively, of influx. The NH4+ flux to the vacuole was calculated to be between 1 and 1.4 [mu]mol g-1 fresh weight h-1. By means of 13NH4+ efflux analysis, three kinetically distinct phases (superficial, cell wall, and cytoplasm) were identified, with t1/2 for 13NH4+ exchange of approximately 3 s and 1 and 8 min, respectively. Cytoplasmic [NH4+] was estimated to be 3.72, 20.55, and 38.08 mM for G2, G100, and G1000 plants, respectively. These concentrations were higher than vacuolar [NH4+], yet 72 to 92% of total root NH4+ was located in the vacuole. Distributions of newly absorbed 13NH4+ between plant parts and among the compartments were also examined. During a 30-min period G100 plants metabolized 19% of the influxed 13NH4+. The remainder (81%) was partitioned among the vacuole (20%), cytoplasm (41%), and efflux (20%). Of the metabolized 13N, roughly one-half was translocated to the shoots.

PMID:
12232017
PMCID:
PMC159113
[PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk