Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2002 May;21(5):894-9; discussion 900.

A new method of segmental resection for primary lung cancer: intermediate results.

Author information

1
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Kyoto University Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To improve the postoperative results of limited resection for small lung cancer, we have developed a new operative method, pulmonary artery-guided segmentectomy. This resection begins with identification of the pulmonary arterial branches involved in the tumor, then the pulmonary tissue is divided along the pulmonary arteries (i.e. guided by pulmonary arteries) from the hilum toward the periphery by electrocautery. The advantages of this method include the facilitation of securing adequate margin from the tumor, and the feasibility of intralobar lymph node dissection during operation. To examine the efficacy of the new method of segmental resection, we retrospectively reviewed 74 cases of T1N0M0 disease who underwent the pulmonary artery-guided segmentectomy.

METHODS:

From 1993 to 2000, 74 patients with pathological T1N0M0 lung cancer were treated by the pulmonary artery-guided segmentectomy. Forty-one patients (55.4%) who underwent the segmentectomy had been considered suitable candidates for lobectomy (intentional resection group). The other 33 patients (44.6%) were considered poor candidates for lobectomy because of poor cardiopulmonary reserve (compromised resection group).

RESULTS:

The overall survival rate at 5 years was 82.0%. The 5-year survivals in the intentional and the compromised resection groups were 81.6 and 77.6%, respectively, and no significant differences were detected between the groups. According to tumor size, the 5-year survival rate for patients with tumors of 20 mm or smaller (92.9%, n=53) was higher than that for the patients with tumors of 21-30 mm (63.0%, n=21), but the difference did not reach statistical significance. Median follow-up time of 27.0 months revealed eight locoregional recurrences and four deaths due to lung cancer. Sixty-three patients (85.1%) are alive with no evidence of disease, and six patients (8.1%) are alive with recurrent disease. Locoregional recurrences occurred in one of 53 patients (1.9%) with tumors 20 mm or smaller and in seven of 21 patients (33.3%) with tumors 21-30 mm, the difference being statistically significant (P<0.01).

CONCLUSIONS:

Our intermediate results demonstrated that the new pulmonary artery-guided segmentectomy could be an alternative method for selected patients with small lung cancer, particularly with tumors 20 mm or smaller in diameter.

PMID:
12062282
DOI:
10.1016/s1010-7940(02)00122-7
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Silverchair Information Systems
Loading ...
Support Center