Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2002 May;31(3):285-9.

Pregnancy after renal transplantation: experience in Singapore General Hospital.

Author information

  • 1Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Singapore General Hospital, Outram Road, Singapore 169608.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Renal transplantation offers the best hope for those women with end-stage renal disease who wish to have children. However, pregnancy after renal transplantation is associated with increased maternal and fetal morbidity. The aim of this retrospective study was to review the outcome of pregnancy in renal transplant patients in Singapore General Hospital.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

Forty-two pregnancies, occurring between December 1986 and December 2000, in 25 out of 141 renal transplant women in their reproductive age group (18 to 45 years old) were identified from our high-risk pregnancy record and retrospectively analysed.

RESULTS:

Thirteen (31%) pregnancies were unsuccessful; 10 abortions, 2 ectopic pregnancies and 1 stillbirth. The remaining 29(69%) successful pregnancies were complicated by maternal anaemia (65.5%), superimposed hypertension (44.8%), premature rupture of membranes (27.6%), urinary (17.2%) and lower genital tract (13.8%) infections, abnormal glucose tolerance test (13.8%), premature delivery (44.8%), low-birth-weight babies (44.8%), small-for-gestational-age babies (20.7%) and intrauterine growth restriction (20.7%). There were no documented cases of multiple pregnancies, congenital anomalies or deterioration of renal function. The outcome of pregnancy was not statistically influenced by preconception renal function and transplant-conception interval.

CONCLUSIONS:

Successful pregnancy is possible in women after renal transplantation. Such pregnancy is often associated with increased maternal and fetal complications and should be managed by a multidisciplinary approach in a tertiary centre. The function and survival of renal allograft was not adversely affected by pregnancy.

PMID:
12061287
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center