Format

Send to

Choose Destination
AANA J. 2001 Feb;69(1):49-53.

Anesthetic implications of a partial molar pregnancy and associated complications.

Author information

1
Naval Hospital, Okinawa, Japan.

Abstract

In the United States, molar pregnancy occurs between 1 in 1,200 and 1 in 2,500 pregnancies. The critical nature of complications associated with a molar pregnancy requires advanced perioperative anesthetic management. This case report details the perioperative events of a 34-year-old gravida 5, para 3, with a partial molar pregnancy who underwent general anesthesia for a dilatation and curettage procedure, following therapeutic termination of a coexisting fetus at 18 weeks' gestation. Her initial presentation, anesthetic and operative management, and postoperative course are described clearly. The medical and anesthetic interventions required for treatment of molar pregnancy are reviewed. Of molar pregnancies, 80% are uncomplicated and follow an unremarkable course. However, for the remaining 20%, complications can be severe and may lead to substantial morbidity and mortality in otherwise healthy women.

PMID:
11759139
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Loading ...
Support Center