Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Glia. 2001 Dec;36(3):406-13.

Three-dimensional distribution of astrocytes in zebrafish spinal cord.

Author information

1
Department of Biology, Faculty of Science, Okayama University, Okayama, Japan.

Abstract

We prepared a monoclonal antibody (A-22) that recognizes a 60-kDa protein in the zebrafish brain. The antigen is distributed throughout the brain but is not found outside it. The antibody recognizes star-shaped cells with long processes in the spinal cord. All A-22-positive cells are also GFAP-immunopositive, but there are GFAP-positive cells that are A-22-negative. The cells are connected to small veins and to the surface of the spinal cord. Immunopositive cells are generally homogeneous in size and shape and are found not only in the spinal cord but also in several areas of the brain. These results indicate that the stained cell is an astrocyte. Most of these cells (88%) are distributed in the gray matter of the spinal cord; the remainder (12%) are found in the white matter. Most of the cells in the gray matter are found in the ventral and dorsal horns, but some are also present in the central area along the ventricle. Glial cell bodies form an array along the longitudinal axis and are connected to each other by thick projections. The cellular array is not visible in coronal sections. In contrast, thin processes from the cells extend to the surfaces of veins, to neurons, and to the periphery of the spinal cord. We estimate that there are about 13,500 A-22-positive astrocytes in the spinal cord; however, this represents only 26% of the total number of astrocytes in the spinal cord (approximately 52,000).

PMID:
11746776
DOI:
10.1002/glia.1126
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wiley
Loading ...
Support Center