Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Clin Cardiol. 2001 Jun;24(6):475-80.

Women with high exercise tolerance and the role of myocardial perfusion imaging.

Author information

1
Department of Radiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Myocardial perfusion imaging (MPI) provides incremental diagnostic and prognostic information, even in patients with high exercise tolerance.

HYPOTHESIS:

Myocardial perfusion imaging provides significant diagnostic value, specifically in women with high exercise tolerance.

METHODS:

Our study population consisted of all women who underwent exercise MPI in our Department from January 1992 to June 1996 and reached at least Stage IV in the Bruce protocol. Patients were divided into those with known and those with possible coronary artery disease (CAD). All patients were followed for 3 years from the performance of MPI.

RESULTS:

Of 4,803 women who underwent myocardial perfusion imaging, 3,183 had exercise stressing, and of those, 311 reached at least Stage IV in the Bruce protocol. Of these 311 MPI scans, only 23 (7.4%) were abnormal (reversible, fixed, or mixed) and the remaining 288 (92.6%) were normal. Of the 82 patients with known CAD, 13 (15.8%) had an abnormal MPI, while only 10 (4.4%) of the 229 patients with possible CAD. No myocardial infarction or cardiac death occurred within 3 years; one patient with normal MPI needed revascularization.

CONCLUSION:

In women with high exercise tolerance, especially in those without already known CAD, the yield of MPI is very low. Women with high exercise tolerance have an excellent prognosis.

PMID:
11403510
DOI:
10.1002/clc.4960240611
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Wiley
Loading ...
Support Center