Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Reprod Med. 2001 Feb;46(2):87-94.

Prophylactic oophorectomy and ovarian cancer surveillance. Patient perceptions and satisfaction.

Author information

1
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Department of Medicine and Genetics, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Missouri, USA. swishere@u.washington.edu

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate decision making, information gathering, satisfaction and regret in women at increased risk of ovarian cancer who had undergone prophylactic oophorectomy or ovarian cancer surveillance.

STUDY DESIGN:

Thirty women undergoing prophylactic oophorectomy (median age, 47 years) and 30 women who had undergone ovarian cancer surveillance (median age, 43) completed an in-depth telephone interview consisting of open-ended questions.

RESULTS:

Most commonly cited concerns before prophylactic oophorectomy included the physical discomfort of surgery and recovery (40%) and issues of immediate menopause and hormone replacement (37%). Fourteen women (47%) would have liked more information prior to surgery. Two women (7%) expressed regret about their decision. The remaining 28 women (93%) undergoing prophylactic oophorectomy expressed no regret about the decision. Nine women (37%) would have liked more information prior to considering ovarian cancer surveillance. Nearly half the women undergoing surveillance did not recall receiving any information about prophylactic oophorectomy as an option. Fifteen women (50%) expressed some regret about ovarian cancer surveillance, and three were frankly dissatisfied.

CONCLUSION:

Few women undergoing prophylactic oophorectomy had regret about their decision, though half these women would have liked more information prior to surgery. Many women undergoing ovarian cancer surveillance had some regret about or dissatisfaction with their decision.

PMID:
11255821
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Support Center