Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Am Coll Surg. 2000 Oct;191(4):381-8.

Survival and recurrence after hepatic resection of 386 consecutive patients with hepatocellular carcinoma.

Author information

1
Second Department of Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Although hepatic resection is one of the most effective treatments for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), the longterm results of hepatic resection of this malignancy are far from satisfactory. The potential benefits of hepatectomy for patients with HCC have not been fully delineated. This study aimed to identify surgical outcomes of 386 consecutive patients with HCC undergoing hepatic resection.

STUDY DESIGN:

The retrospective study looked at records of 293 men and 93 women. The mean age was 63.2 years. Preoperative transarterial chemoembolizaton and portal vein embolization were performed in 138 patients (35.8%) and 8 patients (2.1%), respectively. Sixty-two patients (16.1 %) had major hepatectomy and the other 324 (83.9%) had minor hepatectomy. Thirty-seven of 386 patients (9.6%) had a noncurative operation.

RESULTS:

The 30-day (operative) mortality rate was 4.1%, and there were 11 additional late deaths (2.9%). Two hundred fourteen of 327 patients (65.4%) had recurrence after curative resection. Unfavorable factors for survival and recurrence were resection between 1983 and 1990, Child class B or C, cirrhosis, a high value of indocyanine green retention-15, a large amount of intraoperative blood loss, stage IV disease, positive surgical margin, vascular invasion, and postoperative complications. Preoperative transarterial chemoembolization increased the recurrence rate and showed no contribution to prognosis. Currently, 106 patients (27.5%) are alive: 7 (1.8%) after more than 10 years and 43 (11.1%) after more than 5 years. Mean and median overall survivals after operation were 38 months and 29 months, respectively. The 5-year and 10-year overall or disease-free survival rates after hepatic resection were 34.4% and 10.5% or 23.3% and 7.8%, respectively.

CONCLUSIONS:

The longterm survival rate after operation remains unsatisfactory mainly because of the high recurrence rate. Preoperative transarterial chemoembolization should be avoided because of a high risk of postoperative recurrence. Treatment strategies for recurrent HCC may play an important role in achieving better prognosis after operation, especially in patients with more than Child class B, cirrhosis, high values of indocyanine green retention-15, massive intraoperative blood loss, stage IV disease, positive surgical margin, vascular invasion, and postoperative complications.

PMID:
11030243
[Indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Support Center