Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Life Sci. 2000 Aug 18;67(13):1625-37.

Improvement of in vivo stability of phosphodiester oligonucleotide using anionic liposomes in mice.

Author information

1
Faculdade de Farmácia da Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil.

Abstract

Antisense phosphodiester oligonucleotides (ODN) are unstable in biological fluids due to nuclease-mediated degradation and therefore cannot be used in most antisense therapeutic applications. We describe here an in vitro and in vivo stabilization of a 15 mer phosphodiester sequence using anionic liposomes. Two formulations have been studied: DOPC/OA/CHOL and DOPE/OA/CHOL (pH-sensitive liposomes). Our in vitro findings reveal the same stabilization effect in mouse plasma for both anionic liposomes. In vivo investigation showed a great protective effect for both formulations after intravenous administration to mice. By contrast with in vitro results, a higher protection of ODN was observed with DOPC/OA/CHOL liposomes compared to the DOPE/OA/CHOL formulation. The latter was degraded in blood (75% of the injected dose at 5 min) probably due to interactions with blood components, and the remaining (25% at 5 min) was distributed mostly to the liver and spleen. DOPC liposomes were remarkably stable in blood and were distributed more slowly to all studied organs (liver, spleen, kidneys and lungs). Intact ODN was still observed in some organs (liver, spleen, lungs), but not in blood, 24 hours after DOPC liposome administration. These results suggest that this antisense strategy using carrier systems may be applicable to the treatment of diseases involving the reticuloendothelial system.

PMID:
10983856
DOI:
10.1016/s0024-3205(00)00745-1
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center