Format

Send to

Choose Destination
J Anim Sci. 2000 Jul;78(7):1768-78.

Interaction of protein nutrition and laidlomycin on feedlot growth performance and digestive function in Holstein steers.

Author information

1
Desert Research and Extension Center, University of California, El Centro 92243, USA. razinn@ucdavis.edu

Abstract

Two isonitrogenous diets (12.5% CP) containing 20 (20% NPN) or 40% (40% NPN) of the N as nonprotein N were evaluated with 0 or 10 mg laidlomycin propionate (LP)/kg in a 2 x 2 factorial arrangement. Changes in dietary NPN:N ratio were developed by partial substitution of urea N for fish meal N. In Trial 1, four Holstein steers (349 kg) with cannulas in the rumen and proximal duodenum were used to evaluate treatment effects on digestive function. Total tract OM digestion was slightly greater (1.2%, P < .10) for diets containing 20% of N as NPN, due to greater (3.4%, P < .05) postruminal OM digestion. Supplemental LP decreased passage of microbial N to the small intestine (7.4%, P < .10) and ruminal degradation of dietary CP (DIP, 8.1%, P < .10). Decreasing the NPN:N ratio decreased microbial N flow to the small intestine (7.5%, P < .10) and DIP (15%, P < .01) and increased (6%; P < .05) the flow of indispensable amino acids to the small intestine. Supplemental LP increased (P < .10) ruminal pH. There were no treatment effects (P > .10) on ruminal molar proportions of acetate or propionate. In Trial 2, 120 Holstein steers (122 kg) were used to evaluate treatment effects on growth performance. Decreasing the NPN:N ratio increased ADG (P < .01) by 36, 40, and 16%, respectively, for the initial three 56-d periods of the trial. Overall, ADG was 17% greater (P < .01) for cattle consuming diets containing 20 vs 40% NPN. Decreasing the NPN:N ratio increased (P < .01) gain efficiency by 17 and 14%, respectively, for the initial two 56-d periods. Overall, gain efficiency was 6% greater (P < .01) for diets containing 20% NPN. Dietary NPN:N ratio did not influence (P > .10) the NE value of diets. Supplemental LP did not affect DMI (P > .10) but increased ADG (6%, P < .01) and gain efficiency (5%, P < .05) and decreased (11%, P < .05) the maintenance energy requirements. Protein nutrition limited growth performance of calves receiving the 20% NPN diets during the initial 112 d of the trial. With the 40% NPN diets, protein nutrition limited growth performance throughout most of the trial (d 1 to d 224). We conclude that LP will enhance daily weight gain and gain efficiency of calf-fed Holstein steers. Conventional urea-based diets will not diminish response to LP, although they may not meet the metabolizable amino acid requirements of calf-fed Holsteins during the first three-quarters of the feeding period.

PMID:
10907818
DOI:
10.2527/2000.7871768x
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Silverchair Information Systems
Loading ...
Support Center