Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Eur J Cancer. 1999 Nov;35(12):1730-4.

Loss of heterozygosity at chromosome 13q in hepatocellular carcinoma: identification of three independent regions.

Author information

1
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.

Abstract

Loss of heterozygosity (LOH) on chromosome 13q is one of the most common genetic alterations in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and might be involved in liver cancer development through inactivation of tumour suppressor genes. In order to narrow down the region of 13q loss, we examined the pattern of loss of heterozygosity (LOH) in tumours from 88 HCC patients, using 18 microsatellite markers on 13q. Thirty-eight of the 88 tumours (43%) showed LOH for at least one marker. Of these, two tumours (5%) showed 13q whole arm allelic loss, while the remaining 36 tumours (95%) had partial allelic loss. The LOH pattern defined by the 36 tumours suggested the existence of at least three different smallest common deleted regions which might be involved in the carcinogenesis of HCC. The first, the most centromeric in the 13q12.3 is, close to the BRCA2 gene, defined by D13S171; the second, the most telomeric region in the 13q31-32 band, is defined by D13S154 and D13S157; the third, the intermediate region at 13q14.3, which is near the RB gene, is defined by loci D13S268. The rate of LOH at 13q31-32 was significantly higher in Hepatitis B-surface antigen (HBsAg)-positive patients than HBsAg-negative HCC patients, pointing to a candidate gene related to the development of HBsAg-positive HCCs.

PMID:
10674021
DOI:
10.1016/s0959-8049(99)00205-1
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Elsevier Science
Loading ...
Support Center