Format

Send to

Choose Destination
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 1999 Nov;237(11):908-14.

Perimetric defects after a single acute angle-closure glaucoma attack.

Author information

1
Ospedale di Borgo Trento, Clinica Oculistica, Università degli Studi di Verona, Piazzale Stefani 1, I-37126 Verona, Italy.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

This study was carried out to determine the effect of an acute attack of angle-closure glaucoma on the visual field.

METHODS:

A total of 53 eyes were examined 36-48 h after remission of an acute glaucoma attack by means of computerised perimetry (Humphrey 630 perimeter, 30-2 program). Perimetry was repeated after at least 1 month in 22 eyes.

RESULTS:

Perimetric defects, varying greatly in severity and primarily of the generalised type or concerning at least wide sectors of the field, were detected in 45 (85%) of 53 cases. The visual field was normal in the remaining 8 patients (15%). The upper nasal quadrants were the most frequently affected and the degree of eccentricity was most frequently involved within the 9 degrees -21 degrees area. In 7 of the 22 cases in which perimetry was repeated after 1 month, complete normalisation was noted in the visual field.

CONCLUSIONS:

An isolated attack of acute glaucoma produces in most cases a perimetric defect of generalised or mixed type. This may be reversible. The most affected zones were the upper half of the visual field and the 9 degrees -21 degrees area.

PMID:
10541901
DOI:
10.1007/s004170050385
[Indexed for MEDLINE]

Supplemental Content

Full text links

Icon for Springer
Loading ...
Support Center