|Jump to:||Authorized Access|||||Attribution|||||Authorized Requests|
phs000762.v1.p1 : OPPERA baseline case-control study of chronic TMJD phs000850.v1.p1 : OPPERA Prospective Cohort Study of First-Onset TMJD
- Study Description
The OPPERA project has two sub-studies investigating effects of genetic, physiological, psychological and clinical factors on the risk of developing painful temporomandibular disorder (TMD).
- OPPERA I baseline case-control study of chronic TMJD (dbGaP study accession phs000762). This sub-study uses a case-control study design to investigate characteristics associated with chronic TMD. The parent OPPERA phenotype file contains an indicator variable (PHASE1CASECONTROL) identifying participants in this sub-study. Data users should use the relevant case-classification variable (CHRNONICTMDCASE) and apply statistical methods appropriate for case-control studies when analyzing TMJD in this sub-study.
- OPPERA I prospective cohort for first onset of TMJD (dbGaP study accession phs000850). This sub-study uses a prospective cohort study design to investigate characteristics that predict risk of developing first-onset TMD. The parent OPPERA phenotype file contains an indicator variable (PROSPECTIVECOHORT) identifying participants in this sub-study. Data users should use the relevant case-classification variable (INCIDENTCASE) and the relevant time-in-study variable (FOLLOWUPYEARS) when analyzing TMJD in this sub-study. It is recommended that data users apply statistical methods appropriate for cohort studies of a dynamic population (for example, Cox regression models, where INCIDENTCASE is the censoring variable and FOLLOWUPYEARS is time in study).
- Authorized Access
- Publicly Available Data (Public ftp)
- Study Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria
Inclusion criteria were all three of:
- Age 18-44 years
- Planning on living in the area for the next two years
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Exclusion criteria were any one of 13 conditions:
- Traumatic facial injury or surgery on the face or jaw within the six months preceding enrollment
- Currently receiving orthodontic treatment
- Pregnant or nursing
- Kidney failure or renal dialysis
- Heart disease or heart failure
- Chronic respiratory disease that is not controlled with medication
- Hypertension that is not controlled with medication
- Epilepsy or medication to control grand mal seizures
- Diabetes that is not controlled with medication or diet
- Drug or alcohol abuse
- Psychiatric disorders or conditions that have required hospitalization
- Chemotherapy or radiation therapy.
- Molecular Data
Type Source Platform Number of Oligos/SNPs SNP Batch Id Comment Targeted Genotyping Algynomics Algynomics Pain Research Panel N/A N/A
- Study History
The OPPERA project began in 2006 with enrollment of participants into two studies at four U.S. study sites: Baltimore, MD; Buffalo, NY; Chapel Hill, NC; and Gainesville, FL. In 2012, the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) awarded funding to support the study for an additional five year period.
- Selected publications
- Diseases/Traits Related to Study (MeSH terms)
- Links to Related Resources
- Authorized Data Access Requests
See research articles citing use of the data from this study
- Study Attribution