|Jump to:||Authorized Access|||||Attribution|||||Authorized Requests|
- Study Description
Cases with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) in the UK, were part of the Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium (WTCCC) - http://www.wtccc.org.uk - that first reported in 2007:
Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium (2007) Genome-wide association study of 14,000 cases of seven common diseases and 3,000 shared controls. Nature, 447, 661-678. [PubMed: 17554300]
In this genome-wide association study (GWAS), funded by the NIH and JDRF, and sponsored by the Type 1 Diabetes Genetics Consortium (T1DGC), we were able to extend the case and control groups used in the WTCCC, with the intention of performing a well-powered meta-analysis.
The study is written up as:
Barrett, J.C., Clayton, D.G., Concannon, P., Akolkar, B., Cooper, J.D., Erlich, H.A., Julier, C., Morahan, G., Nerup, J., Nierras, C., Plagnol, V., Pociot, F., Schuilenburg, H., Smyth, D.J., Stevens, H., Todd, J.A., Walker, N.M., Rich, S.S. and The Type 1 Diabetes Genetics Consortium Genome-wide association study and meta-analysis find that over 40 loci affect risk of type 1 diabetes. Nature Genetics, PMID: 19430480.
Resources - data:
* Case data from this study is deposited here (i.e. in dbGaP)
* Control data from this experiment - with subjects from the 1958 British Birth Cohort - is deposited with the European Genotype Archive (EGA):
from where the WTCCC data is also available.
* A complete description of how to request all components of the meta-analysis is available at:
* Additional genetic data on the same case subjects, including some HLA types, are available from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation/Wellcome Trust Diabetes and Inflammation Laboratory (JDRF/WT-DIL):
Resources - samples:
Case and control DNA samples are also available:
* Case DNA samples are available from the JDRF/WT-DIL, as above, and will be available from the NIDDK Genetics Repository at Rutgers:
* Control DNA samples are available from the 1958 British Birth Cohort (aka National Child Development Study):
There are access limitations to both data and samples, in order to keep their use in line with subjects' consent.
- Authorized Access
- Publicly Available Data (Public ftp)
Connect to the public download site. The site contains release notes and manifests. If available, the site also contains data dictionaries, variable summaries, documents, and truncated analyses.
- Study Inclusion/Exclusion Criteria
Cases in GRID (Genetic Resource Investigating Diabetes) are:
- type 1 diabetics
- insulin dependent for at least 6 months
- diagnosed between the ages of 6 months and 16 years inclusive
- resident in mainland UK
In this instance, we also omitted subjects:
- who appeared previously in the WTCCC GWAS
- lacked cell-lined DNA
- not of self-reported white ethnicity (for want of controls)
- who were known to be related to other cases in the study
- who were known to be part of other (e.g. family) studies
- with incomplete paperwork
- failed DNA QC
- Molecular Data
Type Source Platform Number of Oligos/SNPs SNP Batch Id Comment Whole Genome Genotyping Illumina HumanHap550v3.0 561466 51468
- Study History
Cases (and controls) have appeared in a series of studies since 2003. A complete list of publications is included below. A baseline description paper is being prepared.
- Selected publications
- Diseases/Traits Related to Study (MESH terms)
- Primary Phenotype: Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
- Links to Related Resources
- Authorized Data Access Requests
- Study Attribution