Delafloxacin (DLX) is a new fluoroquinolone pending approval, which has shown a good in vitro and in vivo activity against major pathogens associated with skin and soft tissue infections and community-acquired respiratory tract infections. DLX also shows good activity against a broad spectrum of microorganisms, including those resistant to other fluoroquinolones, as methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Its pharmacokinetic properties and excellent activity in acidic environments make DLX an alternative in the treatment of these and other infections. In this manuscript, a detailed analysis of this new fluoroquinolone is performed, from its chemical structure to its in vivo activity in recently published clinical trials. Its possible place in the current antimicrobial outlook and in other infectious models is also discussed.
Keywords: Delafloxacin; fluoroquinolones; methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; therapy.
Conflict of interest statement
Disclosure The authors declare no conflicts of interest in this work and have not received financial support.
In Vitro Activity of Delafloxacin and Microbiological Response Against Fluoroquinolone-Susceptible and Nonsusceptible Staphylococcus Aureus Isolates From Two Phase 3 Studies of Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure InfectionsS McCurdy et al. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 61 (9). PMID 28630189. - Clinical TrialDelafloxacin is an investigational anionic fluoroquinolone antibiotic with broad-spectrum in vitro activity, including activity against Gram-positive organisms, Gr …
Delafloxacin: A Novel Fluoroquinolone With Activity Against Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) and Pseudomonas AeruginosaER Ocheretyaner et al. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 16 (7), 523-530. PMID 29911455. - ReviewThe resistance to current antimicrobial agents, including fluoroquinolones, has continued to grow among various pathogens indicating a need for new antimicrobials to comb …
Delafloxacin: An Improved Fluoroquinolone Developed Through Advanced Molecular EngineeringM Bassetti et al. Future Microbiol 13, 1081-1094. PMID 29764190. - Clinical TrialThe emergence of antimicrobial resistance threatens current clinical practice across a range of infection types. Delafloxacin, a non-zwitterionic fluoroquinolone recently …
Delafloxacin for the Treatment of Respiratory and Skin InfectionsM Bassetti et al. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 24 (3), 433-42. PMID 25604710. - ReviewThe profile of delafloxacin offers several advantages. Delafloxacin presents a broad spectrum of activity against pathogens involved in respiratory infections and complic …
Efficacy of a New Fluoroquinolone, JNJ-Q2, in Murine Models of Staphylococcus Aureus and Streptococcus Pneumoniae Skin, Respiratory, and Systemic InfectionsJ Fernandez et al. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55 (12), 5522-8. PMID 21911568.The in vivo efficacy of JNJ-Q2, a new broad-spectrum fluoroquinolone (FQ), was evaluated in a murine septicemia model with methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus ( …
Cited by 7 PubMed Central articles
Profile of a Novel Anionic Fluoroquinolone-DelafloxacinPM Tulkens et al. Clin Infect Dis 68 (Supplement_3), S213-S222. PMID 30957164.Fluoroquinolones have been in clinical use for over 50 years with significant efficacy. However, increasing resistance and emergence of some marked adverse events have li …
The Concept of an Ideal Antibiotic: Implications for Drug DesignM Gajdács. Molecules 24 (5). PMID 30832456. - ReviewThe emergence and spread of antibiotic-resistant pathogens is a major public health issue, which requires global action of an intersectoral nature. Multidrug-resistant (M …
The Role of Various Transporters in the Placental Uptake of Ofloxacin in an in Vitro Model of Human Villous TrophoblastsH Polachek et al. Drug Des Devel Ther 12, 4129-4138. PMID 30584277.This study provides underlying insights to elucidate the governing factors that influence the flux of these FQs through organ barriers, in view of the controversial safet …
Baxdela TM (Delafloxacin): A Novel Fluoroquinolone for the Treatment of Acute Bacterial Skin and Skin Structure InfectionsA Adler et al. P T 43 (11), 662-666. PMID 30410281.Baxdela (delafloxacin) for treatment of acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections.
Delafloxacin: Place in Therapy and Review of Microbiologic, Clinical and Pharmacologic PropertiesSCJ Jorgensen et al. Infect Dis Ther 7 (2), 197-217. PMID 29605887. - ReviewDelafloxacin (formerly WQ-3034, ABT492, RX-3341) is a novel fluoroquinolone chemically distinct from currently marketed fluoroquinolones with the absence of a protonatabl …
- Hatoum HT, Akhras KS, Lin SJ. The attributable clinical and economic burden of skin and skin structure infections in hospitalized patients: a matched cohort study. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2009;64(3):305–310. - PubMed
- Engemann JJ, Carmeli Y, Cosgrove SE, et al. Adverse clinical and economic outcomes attributable to methicillin resistance among patients with Staphylococcus aureus surgical site infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;36(5):592–598. - PubMed
- Itani KMF, Merchant S, Lin SJ, Akhras K, Alandete JC, Hatoum HT. Outcomes and management costs in patients hospitalized for skin and skin-structure infections. Am J Infect Control. 2011;39(1):42–49. - PubMed
- Amin AN, Cerceo EA, Deitelzweig SB, Pile JC, Rosenberg DJ, Sherman BM. Hospitalist perspective on the treatment of skin and soft tissue infections. Mayo Clin Proc. 2014;89(10):1436–1451. - PubMed
- Anti-Bacterial Agents / pharmacology *
- Drug Design *
- Fluoroquinolones / pharmacology *
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus / drug effects *
- Soft Tissue Infections / drug therapy *
- Staphylococcal Skin Infections / drug therapy *
- Anti-Bacterial Agents / chemical synthesis
- Anti-Bacterial Agents / chemistry
- Fluoroquinolones / chemical synthesis
- Fluoroquinolones / chemistry