- Bruckner TA, Scheffler RM, Shen G, Yoon J, Chisholm D, Morris J, Fulton BD, Dal Poz MR, Saxena S. The mental health workforce gap in low- and middle-income countries: A needs-based approach. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2011;89(3):184–194. [PMC free article: PMC3044251] [PubMed: 21379414]
- Collins PY, Patel V, Joestl SS, March D, Insel TR. A. S. Daar on behalf of the Scientific Advisory Board and the Executive Committee of the Grand Challenges in Global Mental Health. Grand challenges in global mental health. Nature. 2011;475(7354):27–30. [PMC free article: PMC3173804] [PubMed: 21734685]
- Eaton J, McCay L, Semrau M, Chatterjee S, Baingana F, Araya R, Ntulo C, Thornicroft G, Saxena S. Scale up of services for mental health in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet. 2011;378(9802):1592–1603. [PubMed: 22008429]
- Farooq S. Early intervention for psychosis in low- and middle-income countries needs a public health approach. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2013;202:168–169. [PubMed: 23457178]
- Frenk J, Chen L, Bhutta ZA, Cohen J, Crisp N, Evans T, Fineberg H, Garcia P, Ke Y, Kelley P, Kistnasamy B, Meleis A, Naylor D, Pablos-Mendez A, Reddy S, Scrimshaw S, Sepulveda J, Serwadda D, Zurayk H. Health professionals for a new century: Transforming education to strengthen health systems in an interdependent world. Lancet. 2010 376(9756):1923–1958. [November 7, 2012]; http://www
.healthprofessionals21 .org/docs/HealthProfNewCent .pdf . [PubMed: 21112623]
- IOM (Institute of Medicine) Mental, neurological, and substance use disorders in sub-Saharan Africa: Reducing the treatment gap, improving quality of care. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2009. [PubMed: 21452453]
- Kakuma R, Minas H, van Ginneken N, Dal Poz MR, Desiraju K, Morris JE, Saxena S, Scheffler RM. Human resources for mental health care: Current situation and strategies for action. Lancet. 2011;378:1654–1663. [PubMed: 22008420]
- Petersen I, Lund C, Bhana A, Flisher AJ. A task shifting approach to primary mental health care for adults in South Africa: Human resource requirements and costs for rural settings. Health Policy and Planning. 2012;27(1):42–51. [PubMed: 21325270]
- Raviola G, Becker AE, Farmer P. A global scope for global health—including mental health. Lancet. 2011;378(9803):1613–1615. [PubMed: 22008421]
- WHO (World Health Organization) Atlas: Country resources for neurological disorders. 2004. [May 29, 2013]. http://www
.who.int/mental_health /neurology /epidemiology/en/index.html .
- WHO. Neurological disorders: Public health challenges. 2006. [May 29, 2013]. http://who
.int.mental_health /neurology/neurodiso/en/index .html .
- WHO. mhGAP Mental Health Gap Action Programme: Scaling up care for mental, neurological, and substance use disorders. 2008. [October 25, 2012]. http://www
.who.int/mental_health /evidence/mhGAP/en/index .html . [PubMed: 26290926]
- WHO. Mental health atlas 2011. 2011a. [October 25, 2012]. http://whqlibdoc
.who .int/publications/2011 /9799241564359_eng.pdf .
- WHO. mhGAP intervention guide for mental, neurological and substance use disorders in non-specialized health settings. 2011b. [October 25, 2012]. http://www
.who.int/mental_health /publications /mhGAP_intervention_guide/en/index .html . [PubMed: 23741783]
National Academies Press (US), Washington (DC)
A Collaboration of the Forum on Neuroscience and Nervous System Disorders and the African Science Academy Development Initiative; Board on Health Sciences Policy; Institute of Medicine. Strengthening Human Resources Through Development of Candidate Core Competencies for Mental, Neurological, and Substance Use Disorders in Sub-Saharan Africa: Workshop Summary. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2013 Oct 8. D, References.