Two-dimensional PolyAcrylamide Gel Electrophoresis
Click here to see what it is all about.
What is 2D Gel Electrophoresis?
- A method for the separation of proteins in 2 dimensions.
- 1st Dimension: Isoelectric focusing (IEF) is used to separate proteins by their charge (pI).
- 2nd Dimension: SDS-PAGE is used to separate proteins by their size (molecular weight, MW).
- Generally used for the isolation of proteins for further characterisation by mass spectroscopy for e.g.,
- Large scale identification of all proteins in a sample.
- Differential expression.
View example gels from SWISS-2DPAGE maps available from publications:
- Human CSF, ELC, HEPG2, HEPG2SP, LIVER, LYMPHOMA, PLASMA, PLATELET, RBC, U937, CEC, KIDNEY.
- Dictyostelium discoideum, Escherichia coli, Saccharomyces cerevisiae.