- Database of biologically significant sites, patterns and profiles that help to reliably identify to which known protein family (if any) a new sequence belongs.
- Based on the observation that proteins can be grouped on the basis of similarities in their sequences (signature for a protein family or domain).
- The protein signatures are provided in PROSITE format. This format can also be used to do similarity searching by using PHI-BLAST/NCBI (see module "Similarity Searching).
- Currently contains patterns and profiles specific for >1000 protein families or domains.
- Background information for each of these protein signatures is provided.