Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Blood. 1999 Feb 1;93(3):906-8.

Association of a common polymorphism in the factor XIII gene with venous thrombosis.

Author information

  • 1Unit of Molecular Vascular Medicine, Research School of Medicine, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK. a.j.catto@leeds.ac.uk

Abstract

We have shown an association between a common mutation in the factor XIII a-subunit gene, coding for an amino acid change, 3 amino acids from the thrombin activation site (factor XIII Val34Leu) that may protect against myocardial infarction and predisposes to intracranial hemorrhage. To investigate the possible role of factor XIII Val34Leu in the pathogenesis of venous thromboembolism (VTE) and potential interactions with factor V Leiden (FV:Q506) and prothrombin G --> A 20210, we studied 221 patients with a history of VTE and 254 healthy controls. Patients with VTE showed an increased frequency of the FXIII Val/Val genotype (63% v 49%) and a lower frequency of the Val/Leu genotype (31% v 42%) than controls (P =. 007). FV:Q506 heterozygotes were more frequent in VTE patients (11%) than controls (5%; P =.04). The prothrombin G --> A 20210 mutation was present in only 3 patients and no controls (P =.10). In a logistic regression model for a history of VTE, the odds ratio (95% confidence interval) for FXIII Val/Leu or Leu/Leu genotype was 0.63 (0.38 to 0.82) and for possession of FV:Q506 2.40 (1.17 to 4.90). There was no evidence for an interaction between factor XIII Val34Leu genotype and FV:Q506, prothrombin G --> A 20210, sex, or age. It is concluded that possession of the Leu allele at factor XIII Val34Leu is protective against deep venous thrombosis.

PMID:
9920839
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk