Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
We are sorry, but NCBI web applications do not support your browser and may not function properly. More information
J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1998 Jul;286(1):447-58.

In vivo distribution and metabolism of a phosphorothioate oligonucleotide within rat liver after intravenous administration.

Author information

  • 1Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Carlbad Research Center, Carlsbad, California, USA.

Abstract

In the rat, the liver represents a major site of phosphorothioate oligodeoxynucleotide deposition after i.v. administration. For this reason, we examined the intracellular fate of ISIS 1082, a 21-base heterosequence phosphorothioate oligodeoxynucleotide, isolated from parenchymal and nonparenchymal cell types after systemic dosing using established perfusion and separation techniques followed by CGE. Isolated cells were further fractionated into nuclear, cytosolic and membrane constituents to assess the intracellular localization, distribution and metabolic profiles as a function of time and dose. After a 10-mg/kg i.v. bolus, intracellular drug levels where maximal after 8 hr and diminished significantly thereafter, suggesting an active efflux mechanism or metabolism. Nonparenchymal (i.e., Kupffer and endothelial) cells contained approximately 80% of the total organ cellular dose, and this was equivalently distributed between the two cell types, while the remaining 20% was associated with hepatocytes. Nonparenchymal cells contained abundant nuclear, cytosolic and membrane drug levels over a wide dose range. In contrast, at doses of less than 25 mg/kg, hepatocytes contained significantly less drug with no detectable nuclear-association. Doses at or above 25 mg/kg appeared to saturate nonparenchymal cell types, whereas hepatocytes continued to accumulate drug in all cellular compartments, including the nucleus. Our results suggest that although pharmacokinetic parameters vary as a function of hepatic cell type, significant intracellular delivery can be readily achieved in the liver after systemic administration.

PMID:
9655890
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk