Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Dis Colon Rectum. 1997 May;40(5):515-22.

Preliminary results of preoperative 5-fluorouracil, low-dose leucovorin, and concurrent radiation therapy for clinically resectable T3 rectal cancer.

Author information

  • 1Department of Radiation Oncology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

We report the downstaging, sphincter preservation, acute toxicity, and preliminary local control and survival results of preoperative 5-fluorouracil (5-FU), low-dose leucovorin (LV), and concurrent radiation therapy followed by postoperative LV/5-FU for treatment of patients with clinically resectable T3 rectal cancer.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

A total of 32 patients received two monthly cycles of preoperative LV/5-FU (bolus daily X 5). Radiation therapy (5,040 cGy) began concurrently on day 1. Postoperatively, patients received a median of two monthly cycles of LV/5-FU (range, 0-10).

RESULTS:

The complete response rate was 9 percent pathologic and 13 percent clinical, for a total of 22 percent. Total Grade 3+ acute toxicity during the preoperative combined modality segment was 25 percent (8/32). Of the 20 patients who were thought to initially require an abdominoperineal resection and for whom the intent of treatment was sphincter preservation, 17 (85 percent) were able to undergo sphincter-preserving surgery. With a median follow-up of 22 (3-59) months, none have developed local failure, and the three-year actuarial disease-free survival rate was 60 percent.

CONCLUSION:

Our data reveal encouraging downstaging, sphincter preservation and acute toxicity with this regimen. Additional follow-up is needed to assess the long-term local control and survival rates.

PMID:
9152176
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk