Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996 Feb;174(2):783-6.

Amnioinfusion in women with previous cesarean births: a preliminary report.

Author information

  • 1Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Medical Center, Los Angeles 90033, USA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Our purpose was to evaluate the use of intrapartum amnioinfusion in women undergoing a trial of labor after a previous cesarean delivery.

STUDY DESIGN:

Labor and delivery records of women undergoing intrapartum amnioinfusion over a 1-year period were reviewed retrospectively. Neonatal data were obtained by chart review.

RESULTS:

During the study period 936 women underwent intrapartum amnioinfusion for the following indications: oligohydramnios (76.6%), meconium-stained amniotic fluid (12.8%),and variable decelerations (7.5%). Among these, 122 (13%) had previous cesarean births. Seventy-one (58.2%) women were delivered vaginally; the remaining 51 (41.8%) were delivered by repeat cesarean. Among women undergoing intrapartum amnioinfusion there were no statistically significant differences (p<0.05) between those with previous cesarean births and those with unscarred uteri with respect to the following: cesarean section for fetal distress (1.6% vs 1.4%), meconium aspiration (0% vs 0.9%), or low 5-minute Apgar scores (2.5% vs 0.9%). There were no perinatal or maternal deaths in either group. One uterine rupture occurred in a woman with one previous cesarean birth.

CONCLUSIONS:

Amnioinfusion appears to be an acceptable procedure in women with previous cesarean births. The incidence of uterine rupture (0.8%) noted was similar to the 10-year institutional rate at Los Angeles County-University of Southern California Women's Hospital (0.7%).

PMID:
8623822
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk