Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Bull World Health Organ. 1994;72(2):213-20.

Global tuberculosis incidence and mortality during 1990-2000.

Author information

  • 1Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Radcliffe Infirmary, University of Oxford, England.

Abstract

Forecasts of tuberculosis morbidity and mortality are presented for the decade 1990-99. An estimated 88 million new cases of tuberculosis, of which 8 million will be attributable to HIV infection, will occur in the world during the decade; 30 million people are predicted to die of tuberculosis in the same period, including 2.9 million attributable to HIV infection. The number of new tuberculosis cases occurring each year is predicted to increase from 7.5 million (143 cases per 100,000) in 1990 to 8.8 million (152 per 100,000) in 1995 and 10.2 million (163 per 100,000) in the year 2000. In 1990, 2.5 million persons were estimated to have died of tuberculosis; at the same level of availability of treatment, it is predicted that 3.0 million tuberculosis deaths will occur in 1995 and 3.5 million in 2000. Demographic factors, such as population growth and changes in the age structure of populations, will account for 79.5% of the predicted increases in new cases. Age-specific incidence rates in sub-Saharan Africa are increasing due to the HIV epidemic and will account for the remaining 20.5% of the forecast increase in new cases. In WHO's South-East Asian Region and in Central and South America the age-specific incidence rates are expected to fall during 1990-2000, but at a slower rate than in previous years because of the expected increase in HIV seroprevalence.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

PMID:
8205640
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMCID:
PMC2486541
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk