Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Dis Colon Rectum. 1995 Apr;38(4):389-92.

Twenty-year review of the surgical management of perianal Crohn's disease.

Author information

  • 1Orlando Regional Medical Center, Florida, USA.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

A retrospective analysis of 48 patients treated over a 20-year period (March 1973-April 1993) was undertaken to assess the results of our practice of early surgical intervention in suppurative complications of perianal Crohn's disease.

METHODS:

All patients were either seen in the office within the last six months or contacted by phone.

RESULTS:

The average age of our patients was 30 years at initial diagnosis. Thirty-four patients (71 percent) initially presented with intestinal disease and four (8 percent) with only perianal disease. Thirteen patients (27 percent) initially presented with simultaneous intestinal and perianal disease. The various fistulas at initial presentation included 8 intersphincteric (17 percent), 14 transphincteric (29 percent), 11 complex or multiple (23 percent), 5 rectovaginal (10 percent), and 2 unclassified, for a total of 40 patients. Eight patients (17 percent) presented with only an abscess. Eighty five percent of our patients healed after their first procedure, with an average time to heal of 2.8 months. Thirteen (27 percent) patients had recurrences after initial healing of their wounds. The mean time to recurrence after healing was 5.25 years. Fifty-four percent of our recurrences (7 patients) were treated by incision and drainage of an abscess only. Seven of 13 recurrences healed after the second procedure (54 percent), and 5 of 6 healed after a third procedure (83 percent). Only seven (14 percent) of our patients underwent a proctocolectomy during the study period, through September, 1993. Our overall probability of avoiding proctectomy and healing perineal wounds of 86 percent is consistent with published literature.

CONCLUSIONS:

Early aggressive surgical management of suppurative complications of perianal Crohn's disease before complex management problems ensue results in a high incidence of healing and a low risk of subsequent proctectomy.

PMID:
7720446
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk