Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. 1985 Oct;187(4):307-13.

[Rise and fall of the German University Eye Clinic in Prague].

[Article in German]

Abstract

The German University in Prague was founded in 1348 by the German Emperor Karl IV. However, it was not until 1808 that an eye clinic was established there, by Johann Nepomuk Fischer; the clinic was incorporated into the university in 1820. Fischer retired in 1847 and was succeeded by Ferdinand Arlt, though not as professor in ordinary. Fortunately, the chair in Prague was offered to Arlt before he had definitively accepted a call to Leipzig. During the period 1856 to 1883 Ferdinand Ritter von Arlt held the chair of ophthalmology in Vienna, an ophthalmic center of high repute. One of his most famous pupils was Albrecht von Graefe, of Berlin. Josef von Hasner directed the Prague Eye Clinic from 1856 to 1883, followed by Hubert Sattler (1886-1891). Isidor Schnabel was professor in Prague from 1891 to 1895, before going to Vienna. His successor, Wilhelm Paul Czermak, directed the Prague Eye Clinic from 1895 to 1906. He was followed by Isidor Schnabel's most outstanding pupil, Anton Elschnig, a Styrian by birth, who held the chair from 1907 to 1933. Under Elschnig's guidance the Prague University Eye Clinic reached a high international standard. Professor Elschnig retired in 1933 and died in Vienna in 1939 following a street accident. Elschnig's successor was his former assistant Jaroslav Kubik; he had to relinquish the chair after the Germans occupied Czechoslovakia because his wife was Jewish.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)

PMID:
3906253
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Georg Thieme Verlag Stuttgart, New York
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk