Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
We are sorry, but NCBI web applications do not support your browser and may not function properly. More information
J Am Acad Dermatol. 1986 Aug;15(2 Pt 1):231-7.

Influence of anatomic location on prognosis of malignant melanoma: attempt to verify the BANS model.

Abstract

Stage I cutaneous malignant melanomas between 0.76 and 1.69 mm thick (Breslow measurement) in BANS (upper part of the back, posterior aspects of the arms, posterior and lateral aspects of the neck, posterior aspect of the scalp) areas have been reported to portend a relatively poor prognosis compared to non-BANS sites. We were unable to confirm the 15% poorer survival for BANS area lesions (84% BANS, 99% non-BANS) originally reported. In this report of 211 patients, malignant melanomas in BANS sites had a 4.6% poorer 5-year cumulative survival rate (88.9% BANS, 93.5% non-BANS; p = 0.35). Although many more patients need to be studied, we believe this small difference in survival is insufficient to influence therapeutic management strategies.

PMID:
3745528
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk