Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Microbiol Immunol. 1987;31(11):1085-95.

A microplate method for isolation of viruses from infants and children with acute respiratory infections.

Author information

  • 1Virus Center, Sendai National Hospital, Miyagi.

Abstract

Between December 1984 and December 1986, a microplate technique was adopted for isolation of viruses from infants and children with acute respiratory infections. By using two kinds of tissue culture microplates, i.e., the HHVM plate, containing human embryonic fibroblast (HEF), HEp-2, Vero and MDCK cells, and the MK plate which contains secondary monkey kidney cells, 1,080 field viruses were isolated from 1,061 (24.9%) out of 4,254 throat swabs. Of these 1,080 isolates, 1,003 (92.9%) were recovered in the HHVM plates and the remaining 77 (7.1%) in the MK plates. With the HHVM plate, influenza A and B viruses were cultivated in MDCK, RS virus in HEp-2, parainfluenza and mumps viruses in Vero, adenoviruses in both HEF and HEp-2, polioviruses in HEF, HEp-2 and Vero, coxsackie B viruses in both HEp-2 and Vero, rhino and echo viruses in HEF, herpes simplex virus in both HEF and HEp-2, and cytomegalovirus in HEF, although MK were more sensitive than Vero to parainfluenza and coxsackie B viruses. There was no difference in the rate of isolation of viruses between the microplate and ordinary tube methods. Cross contamination in the microplates was negligible for routine work.

PMID:
3444424
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk