Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Bol Asoc Med P R. 1989 Nov;81(11):451-4.

[Is fibrocystic disease precancerous?].

[Article in Spanish]

Abstract

The relationship between fibrocystic disease and the risk of developing breast cancer has been established based on proliferative changes seen in breast biopsies and the follow-up of patients. 70% of the female patients present a non-proliferative fibrocystic process without any risk of further development of cancer as compared with the rest of the population. 30% of patients with fibrocystic disease present a proliferative process with or without atypia. Those without atypia have a risk of 1.5-2.0 X as compared to non-biopsied patients. Age, family history and presence of microcalcification increases the risk factor in those patients with proliferative lesions. It is recommended that the pathologic diagnosis include the risk factor when fibrocystic disease is reported.

PMID:
2690835
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk