Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Braz J Microbiol. 2014 May 19;45(1):243-7. eCollection 2014.

Paracoccidioidomycosis in southern Rio Grande do Sul: a retrospective study of histopathologically diagnosed cases.

Author information

  • 1Faculdade de Odontologia Universidade Federal de Pelotas PelotasRS Brazil.
  • 2Faculdade de Odontologia Universidade Federal de Pelotas PelotasRS Brazil ; Santa Casa de Misericórdia de Pelotas PelotasRS Brazil.
  • 3Faculdade de Medicina Universidade Federal do Rio Grande Rio GrandeRS Brazil ; Programa de Pós-Graduação em Ciências da Saúde Universidade Federal do Rio Grande Rio GrandeRS Brazil.

Abstract

Paracoccidioidomycosis (PCM) is a systemic mycosis caused by the fungus Paracoccidioides brasiliensis and is endemic to Brazil. The aim of this study was to perform a retrospective analysis of the PCM cases in the countryside south of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. The files from four histopathology laboratories located in the city of Pelotas were obtained, and all of the epidemiological and clinical data from the PCM diagnosed cases were collected for analysis. A total of 123 PCM cases diagnosed between 1966 and 2009 were selected. Of these patients, 104 (84.5%) were male, and 17 were female. The patients ranged from 02 to 92 years of age. Fifty-two cases (41.9%) were obtained from the oral pathology laboratory, and the remaining 71 cases (58.1%) were obtained from the three general pathology laboratories. Of all of the patients studied, 65.2% lived in rural zones and worked in agriculture or other related fields. Data on the evolution of this disease was available for 43 cases, and the time frame ranged from 20 to 2920 days (mean = 572.3 days). An accurate diagnosis performed in less than 30 days only occurred in 21% of the cases. PCM is endemic to the countryside of Rio Grande do Sul. Therefore, it is recommended that PCM be included as a differential diagnosis, mainly for individuals between 30 and 60 years of age, living in rural zones and who have respiratory signs and associated-oropharyngeal lesions.

KEYWORDS:

Paracoccidioides brasiliensis; epidemiology; systemic mycosis

PMID:
24948940
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMCID:
PMC4059305
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk