Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Mil Med. 2014 Jan;179(1):71-5. doi: 10.7205/MILMED-D-13-00324.

Analysis of evacuations from areas of operation to the Spanish Role 4 medical treatment facility (2008-2013).

Author information

  • 1Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Central Hospital of Defense "Gómez Ulla", Glorieta del Ejército s/n, CP: 28047 Madrid, Spain.
  • 2Department of Trauma and Orthopedic Surgery, Central Hospital of Defense "Gómez Ulla", Glorieta del Ejército s/n, CP: 28047 Madrid, Spain.
  • 3Department of Statistic, Central Hospital of Defense "Gómez Ulla", Glorieta del Ejército s/n, CP: 28047 Madrid, Spain.
  • 4Department of Telemedicine, Central Hospital of Defense "Gómez Ulla", Glorieta del Ejército s/n, CP: 28047 Madrid, Spain.
  • 5Department of Cardiology, Central Hospital of Defense "Gómez Ulla", Glorieta del Ejército s/n, CP: 28047 Madrid, Spain.

Abstract

Since 1987, the Spanish Armed Forces have deployed their troops in a multitude of conflicts and natural disasters worldwide. The Spanish Military Medical Corps has the ability to deploy Role 1, Role 2, and one Role 3 medical treatment facilities. It also has a Role 4 in operation, the "Gómez Ulla" Central Hospital of Defense, in Madrid. The aim of this study is to describe the type of Spanish casualties evacuated from different areas of operation to the Role 4 from 2008 to 2013. A retrospective, cross-sectional study was performed on a sample of 232 patients. Among these, 211 (91%) were noncombat casualties: 126 because of illness, 53 because of an accident, and 32 because of sports injuries. The remaining 21 (9%) were combat casualties: 11 from improvised explosive devices and 10 from gunfire. Afghanistan, followed by Lebanon, is the operational area where most evacuees originate. The authors consider it essential that the Spanish Armed Forces rely on a Role 4 medical treatment facility as part of their medical support to international operations.

Reprint & Copyright © 2014 Association of Military Surgeons of the U.S.

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk