Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Muscle Nerve. 2014 Jun;49(6):804-8. doi: 10.1002/mus.24127. Epub 2014 Jan 27.

F-wave latencies in patients with diabetes mellitus.

Author information

  • 1Department of Neurology, Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, 100050, China.

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

To evaluate the sensitivity of electrophysiologic assessments, we compared F-waves and motor and sensory nerve conduction studies (MNCS and SNCS) in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM).

METHODS:

We tested median, ulnar, tibial, and fibular nerves in 132 DM patients divided into those with and without clinical evidence of polyneuropathy.

RESULTS:

Of 64 asymptomatic patients, 2 (3%) had MNCS or SNCS abnormalities, both of whom had F-wave changes, whereas 21 (33%) had only delayed F-waves, for a combined yield of 23 (36%). The corresponding values for 68 symptomatic patients consisted of 43 (63%), 14 (21%), and 57 (84%). In both groups, F-wave latency had a higher (P<0.05) frequency of abnormality than MNCS in all nerves. F-wave study also surpassed SNCS in lower limb nerves.

CONCLUSIONS:

F-waves of the tibial and fibular nerves are the most sensitive measure to detect subclinical or overt diabetic polyneuropathy. Muscle Nerve 49: 804-808, 2014.

Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

KEYWORDS:

F-wave; diabetes mellitus; diabetic polyneuropathy; height-latency nomogram; nerve conduction study

PMID:
24259350
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk