Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2013 Jun 1;51(6):542-6.

[Application of intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging and multimodal navigation in surgical resection of glioblastoma].

[Article in Chinese]

Author information

  • 1Department of Neurosurgery, Chinese People's Liberation Army General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To evaluate the efficacy of intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (iMRI) and multimodal navigation in surgical resection of glioblastoma.

METHODS:

Between February 2009 and July 2010, 76 glioblastoma patients underwent surgical resection guided by iMRI and multimodal navigation. The cohort consisted of 43 male and 33 female patients, with a mean age of 49 years (range: 14-79 years). Rates of gross total resection (GTR) and extent of resection (EoR) were calculated at first and final iMRI scans.Pearson χ(2) test was used to compare the rates of GTR.

RESULTS:

iMRI and multimodal navigation were successfully implemented in all cases. Rates of GTR were misestimated by neurosurgeons in 24 cases (31.6%), which were confirmed by first iMRI. Total tumor resection were achieved in 20 cases (26.3%) as a result of iMRI scan, increasing the rates of gross total resection from 52.6% to 78.9% (χ(2) = 11.692, P = 0.001). Extent of resection in 28 patients who underwent further tumor resection were increased from 81.5% to 98.1%, leading to the overall extent of resection improved from 92.3% to 98.4%. At 3-month follow-up, 3 cases (3.9%) developed permanent neurologic deficits. The mean clinical follow-up was 15.6 months (range 3.0-45.0 months). The 2-year overall survival rate was 19.7%. The median progression-free survival of gross total resection group was 12 months (95% CI: 10.1-13.9 months), compared with 9 months (95%CI: 7.9-10.1 months) of the subtotal resection group (χ(2) = 4.756, P = 0.029). The overall survival of gross total resection group was 16 months (95% CI: 13.7-18.3 months), compared with 12 months (95% CI: 9.7-14.3 months) of the subtotal resection group (χ(2) = 7.885, P = 0.005).

CONCLUSION:

Combined with multimodal navigation, iMRI helps maximize surgical resection of glioblastoma, preserving neurological function while increasing progression-free survival and overall survival.

PMID:
24091271
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk