Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Circ J. 2012;76(11):2546-51. Epub 2012 Jul 18.

Prevalence and influence of hyperthyroidism on the long-term outcome of catheter ablation for drug-refractory atrial fibrillation.

Author information

  • 1Cardiovascular Division, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tsukuba, Japan.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Hyperthyroidism is usually regarded as a reversible cause of atrial fibrillation (AF); however, one-third of patients remain in AF despite euthyroid restoration. We hypothesized that a significant number of AF patients with hyperthyroidism (Hyperthyroid-AF) as well as those without (Non-thyroid-AF) would benefit from catheter ablation of AF (AF ablation). This study aimed to clarify the prevalence of hyperthyroidism in candidates for AF ablation and to compare the long-term outcome of AF ablation between the Hyperthyroid-AF and Non-thyroid-AF groups.

METHODS AND RESULTS:

This study enrolled 337 consecutive patients with AF who underwent a first AF ablation that mainly involved extensive encircling pulmonary vein isolation. Sixteen (4.7%) patients had hyperthyroidism; the remaining 321 (95.3%) did not. In the Hyperthyroid-AF patients, a euthyroid state had been restored for at least 3 months before the ablation. During a mean follow-up period of 4±1 years after ablation, AF recurred in 7 patients (44%) with Hyperthyroid-AF and in 139 patients (43%) with Non-thyroid-AF (P=0.91 by the log-rank test). In the multivariate Cox regression models, the presence of hyperthyroidism was not associated with a higher risk of AF recurrence (hazard ratio, 0.87; 95% confidence interval, 0.40-1.88; P=0.73).

CONCLUSIONS:

In the AF ablation candidates without structural heart disease, hyperthyroidism was not rare. After euthyroid restoration on pharmacological treatment, hyperthyroidism was not associated with a higher risk of AF recurrence.

PMID:
22813838
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Icon for J-STAGE, Japan Science and Technology Information Aggregator, Electronic
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk