Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
We are sorry, but NCBI web applications do not support your browser and may not function properly. More information
BMC Nephrol. 2011 May 25;12:25. doi: 10.1186/1471-2369-12-25.

Selected AGXT gene mutations analysis provides a genetic diagnosis in 28% of Tunisian patients with primary hyperoxaluria.

Author information

  • 1Biochemistry Department, Sahloul University Hospital, Sousse, Tunisia.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Primary hyperoxaluria type I (PH1) is a rare genetic disorder characterized by allelic and clinical heterogeneity. Four mutations (G170R, 33_34insC, I244T and F152I) account for more than 50% of PH1 alleles and form the basis for diagnostic genetic screening for PH1. We aimed to analyze the prevalence of these specific mutations causing PH1, and to provide an accurate tool for diagnosis of presymptomatic patients as well as for prenatal diagnosis in the affected families.

METHODS:

Polymerase chain reaction/Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism, were used to detect the four mutations in the AGXT gene in DNA samples from 57 patients belonging to 40 families.

RESULTS:

Two mutations causing PH1 were detected in 24 patients (42.1%), with a predominance of the I244T mutation (68% of patients) and 33_34insC (in the remaining 32%). In 92% of cases, mutated alleles were in homozygous state. The presented clinical features were similar for the two mutations. The age of onset was heterogeneous with a higher frequency of the pediatric age. In 58.3% of cases, the presentation corresponded to advanced renal disease which occurred early (< 5 years) in the two mutations. In adolescents, only the I244T mutation was detected (41.1%). I244T and 33_34insC mutations were observed in adult patients, with 17.6% and 12.5% respectively.

CONCLUSION:

Limited mutation analysis can provide a useful first line investigation for PH1. I244T and 33_34insC presented 28.2% of identified mutations causing disease in our cohort. This identification could provide an accurate tool for prenatal diagnosis in the affected families, for genetic counselling and for detection of presymptomatic individuals.

PMID:
21612638
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMCID:
PMC3123632
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Icon for BioMed Central Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk