Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Apr;95(4):1986-90. doi: 10.1210/jc.2009-2521. Epub 2010 Feb 3.

Aldosterone production and insulin resistance in healthy adults.

Author information

  • 1Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Hypertension, Brigham and Women's Hospital, 221 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA. rgarg@partners.org

Abstract

CONTEXT:

Aldosterone production is associated with insulin resistance in obese and hypertensive subjects. However, its effect on insulin sensitivity in healthy subjects is not clear.

OBJECTIVE:

The objective of this study was to test the hypothesis that increased aldosterone production is associated with lower insulin sensitivity in healthy subjects.

DESIGN:

This is an analysis of data previously collected during studies conducted as part of the International Hypertensive Pathotype Consortium.

PARTICIPANTS AND INTERVENTIONS:

Eighty-four subjects free of any medical or psychiatric illness were included in this study. They were studied after 7 d of a standardized high-sodium diet confirmed by 24-h urine sodium above 200 mEq. Insulin sensitivity index (ISI) was calculated after a 75-g oral glucose load with glucose and insulin measurements at 0, 30, 60, and 120 min. Serum aldosterone levels were measured after 45 min of angiotensin II (3 ng/kg/min) infusion.

RESULTS:

There were significant negative correlations between ISI and age, body mass index (BMI), diastolic blood pressure, and angiotensin II-stimulated aldosterone level (P < 0.01). On multivariate regression analysis, stimulated aldosterone level was an independent predictor of ISI after adjusting for age, BMI, and diastolic blood pressure. Stimulated aldosterone level predicted 8% of the variance in ISI (P = 0.003) with age, BMI, and diastolic blood pressure together predicting 23% of the variance in ISI. Thus, the final regression model predicted 31% of the variance in ISI (P < 0.0001).

CONCLUSIONS:

Aldosterone production is associated with insulin resistance in normotensive healthy subjects independent of traditional risk factors.

PMID:
20130077
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMCID:
PMC2853992
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Atypon Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk