Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2009;36(4):254-5.

Prevalence of acute hemoperitoneum in patients with endometriotic ovarian cysts: a 7-year retrospective study.

Author information

  • 13rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School of Athens, General University Hospital "Attikon", Athens, Greece. evangelinakisnikos@yahoo.gr

Abstract

INTRODUCTION:

Endometriosis is a quite common condition in women of reproductive age. The purpose of this study is to delineate the association between hemoperitoneum and endometriosis.

MATERIALS & METHODS:

The records of all patients with endometriotic ovarian cysts treated at the 3rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the University of Athens and at "Lito" Maternity Hospital of Athens from 2000 through 2007 were reviewed.

RESULTS:

During this 7-year period 720 women underwent surgery due to endometriotic ovarian cysts. The average age was 40.9 years (range: 17-70). The median diameter of the cysts was 4.49 cm and 59% were located in the right ovary. Hemoperitoneum was identified in 16 (2.22%) of them. The average age of these women was 28.5 years (range: 22-44). Ten (62.5%) of these women presented with acute and strong abdominal pain and moderate signs of cardiovascular shock. The rest presented with abdominal pain and distension worsening at the onset of menses, nausea and/or vomiting and hemorrhagic fluid in the pelvis. Ultrasound examination was performed in all women and afterwards they underwent laparoscopy to identify the source of bleeding. In all cases a ruptured endometriotic cyst was found. In 68.8% (11/16) the ruptured cyst was located in the left ovary and the rest (31.2%) in the right. A thorough examination did not reveal any other sources of bleeding. No operative complications were observed.

DISCUSSION:

The simultaneous occurrence of ascites and endometriosis is rare. A physician, though, must always take into consideration endometriosis in the differential diagnosis of ascites and acute abdominal pain or pelvic mass.

PMID:
20101861
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk