Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
Fertil Steril. 2010 Oct;94(5):1848-52. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2009.09.064. Epub 2009 Nov 25.

Creation of a neovagina after Creatsas modification of Williams vaginoplasty for the treatment of 200 patients with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome.

Author information

  • 1Division of Pediatric-Adolescent Gynecology and Reconstructive Surgery, Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School, University of Athens, Aretaieion Hospital, Athens, Greece.

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

To present and evaluate the results of the Creatsas modification of Williams vaginoplasty for the creation of a neovagina in young women with Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser (MRKH) syndrome.

DESIGN:

Retrospective study.

SETTING:

Division of Pediatric-Adolescent Gynecology and Reconstructive Surgery, Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens, Aretaieion Hospital, Athens, Greece.

PATIENT(S):

Two hundred patients with the MRKH syndrome.

INTERVENTION(S):

Clinical examination, pelvic ultrasound, intravenous urography and/or renal ultrasound, laparoscopy, karyotyping, orthopedics and ears, nose, and throat examination, magnetic resonance imaging, and Creatsas modification of Williams vaginoplasty.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S):

Neovaginal functional dimentions, neovaginal axis deviation, and quality of sexual life.

RESULT(S):

A functioning vagina of 10-12 cm in depth and 5 cm in width was created in 191 cases (95.5%). A vagina between 7 and 9 cm in depth and 2 and 3 cm in width was created for the remaining nine patients (4.5%). In addition, 94.5% declared themselves to have a satisfactory quality of sexual life, while only 5% of the cases reported an adequate one.

CONCLUSION(S):

Creatsas modification of Williams vaginoplasty is a simple, quick, and effective method for the treatment of vaginal agenesis.

Copyright © 2010 American Society for Reproductive Medicine. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

PMID:
19939365
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk