Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009 Aug 4;106(31):12717-22. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0808396106. Epub 2009 Jul 15.

Why kinesin is so processive.

Author information

  • 1Center for Biophysics and Computational Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA.

Abstract

Kinesin I can walk on a microtubule for distances as long as several micrometers. However, it is still unclear how this molecular motor can remain attached to the microtubule through the hundreds of mechanochemical cycles necessary to achieve this remarkable degree of processivity. We have addressed this issue by applying ensemble and single-molecule fluorescence methods to study the process of kinesin stepping, and our results lead to 4 conclusions. First, under physiologic conditions, approximately 75% of processively moving kinesin molecules are attached to the microtubule via both heads, and in this conformation, they are resistant to dissociation. Second, the remaining 25% of kinesin molecules, which are in an "ATP waiting state" and are strongly attached to the microtubule via only one head, are intermittently in a conformation that cannot bind ATP and therefore are resistant to nucleotide-induced dissociation. Third, the forward step in the kinesin ATPase cycle is very fast, accounting for <5% of the total cycle time, which ensures that the lifetime of this ATP waiting state is relatively short. Finally, by combining nanometer-level single-molecule fluorescence localization with higher ATP concentrations than used previously, we have determined that in this ATP waiting state, the ADP-containing head of kinesin is located 8 nm behind the attached head, in a location where it can interact with the microtubule lattice. These 4 features reduce the likelihood that a kinesin I motor will dissociate and contribute to making this motor so highly processive.

PMID:
19617538
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMCID:
PMC2722356
Free PMC Article
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk