Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Immunol. 2008 Nov 1;181(9):6514-24.

12/15-Lipoxygenase regulates the inflammatory response to bacterial products in vivo.

Author information

  • 1Department of Medical Biochemistry and Immunology, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom.

Abstract

The peritoneal macrophage (Mphi) is the site of greatest 12/15-lipoxygenase (12/15-LOX) expression in the mouse; however, its immunoregulatory role in this tissue has not been explored. Herein, we show that 12/15-LOX is expressed by 95% of resident peritoneal CD11b(high) cells, with the remaining 5% being 12/15-LOX(-). 12/15-LOX(+) cells are phenotypically defined by high F4/80, SR-A, and Siglec1 expression, and enhanced IL-10 and G-CSF generation. In contrast, 12/15-LOX(-) cells are a dendritic cell population. Resident peritoneal Mphi numbers were significantly increased in 12/15-LOX(-/-) mice, suggesting alterations in migratory trafficking or cell differentiation in vivo. In vitro, Mphi from 12/15-LOX(-/-) mice exhibit multiple abnormalities in the regulation of cytokine/growth factor production both basally and after stimulation with Staphylococcus epidermidis cell-free supernatant. Resident adherent cells from 12/15-LOX(-/-) mice generate more IL-1, IL-3, GM-CSF, and IL-17, but less CCL5/RANTES than do cells from wild-type mice, while Staphylococcus epidermidis cell-free supernatant-elicited 12/15-LOX(-/-) adherent cells release less IL-12p40, IL-12p70, and RANTES, but more GM-CSF. This indicates a selective effect of 12/15-LOX on peritoneal cell cytokine production. In acute sterile peritonitis, 12/15-LOX(+) cells and LOX products were cleared, then reappeared during the resolution phase. The peritoneal lavage of 12/15-LOX(-/-) mice showed elevated TGF-beta1, along with increased immigration of monocytes/Mphi, but decreases in several cytokines including RANTES/CCL5, MCP-1/CCL2, G-CSF, IL-12-p40, IL-17, and TNF-alpha. No changes in neutrophil or lymphocyte numbers were seen. In summary, endogenous 12/15-LOX defines the resident MPhi population and regulates both the recruitment of monocytes/Mphi and cytokine response to bacterial products in vivo.

PMID:
18941242
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk