Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
J Food Prot. 2008 Apr;71(4):770-4.

Shelf life of semifried tuna slices coated with essential oil compounds after treatment with anodic electrolyzed NaCl solution.

Author information

  • 1Laboratory of Fish Processing and Technology, National Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, 101 El-Kasr El-Eini, Cairo, Egypt. m_abou_taleb@yahoo.com

Abstract

The main objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of two commonly used essential oils after treatment with anodic electrolyzed NaCl solution in order to extend the shelf life of coated semifried tuna slices. Samples of tuna slices were treated with 100-fold electrolyzed water and coated with an edible solution containing 1% essential oil (0.5% eugenol [E] plus 0.5% linalool [L]). The coated slices were fried at 170 degrees C for 1 min and then stored at 5 and 25 degrees C. Total volatile basic nitrogen of slices treated with electrolyzed water and 1% (E+L) decreased from 15.5 for the nontreated control slices to 9.7 immediately after treatment and remained at a low level (<30) until the end of the storage period (day 20). Treatment with 1% (E+L) significantly suppressed lipid oxidation in coated semifried tuna. Sensory evaluation and microbiological assays showed that treatment with electrolyzed water and 1% (E+L) extended the shelf life of coated semifried slices to 15 and 2 days compared with 5 and 1 days for control slices during storage at 5 and 25 degrees C, respectively.

PMID:
18468031
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Ingenta plc
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk