Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008 Apr 29;105(17):6266-71. doi: 10.1073/pnas.0709585105. Epub 2008 Apr 24.

Cell water dynamics on multiple time scales.

Author information

  • 1Center for Molecular Protein Science, Department of Biophysical Chemistry, Lund University, SE-22100 Lund, Sweden.

Abstract

Water-biomolecule interactions have been extensively studied in dilute solutions, crystals, and rehydrated powders, but none of these model systems may capture the behavior of water in the highly organized intracellular milieu. Because of the experimental difficulty of selectively probing the structure and dynamics of water in intact cells, radically different views about the properties of cell water have proliferated. To resolve this long-standing controversy, we have measured the (2)H spin relaxation rate in living bacteria cultured in D(2)O. The relaxation data, acquired in a wide magnetic field range (0.2 mT-12 T) and analyzed in a model-independent way, reveal water dynamics on a wide range of time scales. Contradicting the view that a substantial fraction of cell water is strongly perturbed, we find that approximately 85% of cell water in Escherichia coli and in the extreme halophile Haloarcula marismortui has bulk-like dynamics. The remaining approximately 15% of cell water interacts directly with biomolecular surfaces and is motionally retarded by a factor 15 +/- 3 on average, corresponding to a rotational correlation time of 27 ps. This dynamic perturbation is three times larger than for small monomeric proteins in solution, a difference we attribute to secluded surface hydration sites in supramolecular assemblies. The relaxation data also show that a small fraction ( approximately 0.1%) of cell water exchanges from buried hydration sites on the microsecond time scale, consistent with the current understanding of protein hydration in solutions and crystals.

PMID:
18436650
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMCID:
PMC2359779
Free PMC Article

Images from this publication.See all images (2)Free text

Fig. 1.
Fig. 2.
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire Icon for PubMed Central
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk