Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Braz J Infect Dis. 2007 Apr;11(2):203-7.

Efficacy of amphotericin B in a fat emulsion for the treatment of cryptococcal meningitis in AIDS patients.

Author information

  • 1Infectious, Parasitary and Dermatologic Diseases Department, São José do Rio Preto Medical School, Rua Sebastião Bernardino de Souza 100, Brejo Alegre, 15062-001 São José do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil. gongora@famerp.br

Abstract

Several formulae have been developed in an attempt to reduce the toxicity of amphotericin B (AmB), but their high costs preclude widespread use. The aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of amphotericin B in a fat emulsion, i.e. Intralipid (AmB-IL), in 37 AIDS patients with cryptococcal meningitis (CM). We retrospectively reviewed data collected in a non-comparative open study between January 1999 and December 2001. The therapeutic cure was defined as complete resolution or improvement of the clinical symptoms or complete absence or improvement of the mycological alterations of the CSF. The outcomes were evaluated at 2 weeks, induction phase (IP), and at the end of treatment or consolidation phase (CP) with the last available CSF. Prior to the diagnosis of CM, 72% of patients had had one or more OI and 67.57% had a concomitant OI. The median CD4-cell count was 32 cells/mm(3), the median leukocyte count in the CSF was 29 cells/mm(3) and the median cumulative dose of AmB-IL was 1,200 mg (300-2,500). The therapeutic cure was 57.14% in the IP and 64.86% in the CP. During IP, 9 patients died (24.32%) and 4 (10.81%) during the CP (p=0.2). Thus, the overall mortality rate was 35.14%. AmB-IL, an inexpensive preparation, might be an alternative to conventional AmB. Some questions remain such as its compatibility, stability and level of toxicity. The benefit is especially important in developing countries, where no drugs other than AmB are available to treat systemic fungal infections.

PMID:
17625761
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Scientific Electronic Library Online
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk