Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008 Jan;61(1):167-75. Epub 2007 Apr 18.

The gemcitabine, docetaxel, and capecitabine (GTX) regimen for metastatic pancreatic cancer: a retrospective analysis.

Author information

  • 1Experimental Therapeutics Program, Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, New York Presbyterian Medical Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and The Pancreas Center at Columbia, New York, NY, USA.

Erratum in

  • Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008 Jan;61(1):177.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

We developed a laboratory based regimen called GTX which induces synergistic apoptosis in human pancreatic cancer cells. This retrospective review summarizes our clinical experience with GTX in an initial group of 35 patients; 66% untreated and 34% failed prior therapies.

METHODS:

All patients treated with GTX for metastatic pancreatic cancer, prior to initiation of a prospective phase II trial of GTX were assessed and followed until death. GTX consisted of capecitabine (X), 750 mg/m(2) p.o. BID on days 1-14, gemcitabine (G) (750 mg/m(2)) over 75 min and docetaxel (T) (30 mg/m(2)) on days 4 and 11. Thus one cycle of GTX was 14 days with 7 days off for a 21 day cycle. Tumor assessments were repeated every 3 cycles.

RESULTS:

All 35 patients had metastatic pancreatic cancer (94% liver, 6% lung sites). Grade 3-4 hematological toxicities were: leukopenia and thrombocytopenia-both 14%, and anemia 9%, respectively. The overall response rate of all 35 patients treated with GTX (from 0.5 cycles onward) was 29% (CR/PR) by WHO criteria, and 31% had a minor response or stable disease (MR, SD). At the metastatic sites for the 35 patients, there were 9% complete (CR) and 31% partial (PR) responses (total 40%). For the 31 patients who had their primary tumor (4 patients had a prior Whipple resection), there were 13% CR and 19% PR for a response rate of 32% at the primary tumor site. Overall median progression free survival of responders was 6.3 months (95% C.I. 4.4-10.4 months) and median survival was 11.2 months (95% C.I. 8.1-15.1 months). Survival after initiation of GTX at 12, 18, 24 and 30 months was 43, 29, 20, and 11%, respectively.

CONCLUSION:

Our retrospective review suggests that GTX has potential as a regimen for untreated and treated metastatic pancreatic cancer.

PMID:
17440727
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Springer
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk