Format

Send to

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Hepatogastroenterology. 2007 Jan-Feb;54(73):167-71.

Overexpression of MT3-MMP in hepatocellular carcinoma correlates with capsular invasion.

Author information

  • 1Department of Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan.

Abstract

BACKGROUND/AIMS:

Extracellular matrix-degrading matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) are invariably up-regulated in epithelial cancers and are key agonists of angiogenesis, invasion and metastasis. Recent studies have shown high levels of various MMPs, including MT1-MMP, MMP-1, MMP-2 and MMP-9, and their involvement in tumor progression in human hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). However, the expression and role of MT3-MMP in HCC remains unclear.

METHODOLOGY:

We examined the immunohistochemical expression of MT3-MMP in surgically resected HCCs (n=58), hepatitis C virus (HCV) and hepatitis B virus (HBV)-related chronic hepatitis (n=34) and cirrhosis (n=24).

RESULTS:

MT3-MMP expression was observed in all non-cancerous liver tissues. In HCCs, 52% (30/58) of patients showed high MT3-MMP expression while the remaining 48% (28/58) of patients showed low expression. A clinicopathological survey demonstrated a significant correlation between high MT3-MMP expression and capsular invasion of carcinoma (p = 0.034) although there was no correlation between high MT3-MMP expression in HCC and overall survival or disease-free survival.

CONCLUSIONS:

MT3-MMP was expressed not only in chronic hepatitis and liver cirrhosis, but also in HCC, and high MT3-MMP expression correlated significantly with capsular invasion of carcinoma.

PMID:
17419254
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk