Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Occup Med (Lond). 2006 Mar;56(2):144-6.

Occupational fatalities among coal mine workers in Zonguldak, Turkey, 1994-2003.

Author information

  • Forensic Medicine Department, Afyon Kocatepe University School of Medicine, Afyonkarahisar, Turkey. drhkucuker@aku.edu.tr

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Fatal underground coal mine injuries are a worldwide problem. Zonguldak holds 95% of all Turkey's coal reserves.

AIM:

To investigate fatalities in the underground coal-mining industry in the Zonguldak province.

METHODS:

Retrospective study of fatal underground coal-mining accidents from 1994 to 2003 through evaluation of industry records.

RESULTS:

There were 164 deaths available for analysis. The median age was 36 years (range: 14-56 years). Eighty-one fatalities (49%) were due to subsidence, 33 (20%) were due to underground railway accidents and 18 (11%) were due to gas poisoning. Asphyxia was the most common cause of death (99, 60%). The majority of fatalities (144, 87%) occurred instantaneously at the scene of the incident. The remainder (20, 13%) occurred on the way to the hospital or in the emergency room or the intensive care unit.

CONCLUSION:

The underground coal-mining industry in Turkey requires strategies to improve safety and reduce the number of fatalities occurring. These strategies should focus on improved underground safety through engineering measures.

PMID:
16490795
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk