Display Settings:

Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Am J Cardiol. 2006 Jan 1;97(1):127-9. Epub 2005 Nov 14.

Predictors of major hemorrhage following fibrinolysis for acute pulmonary embolism.

Author information

  • 1Department of Pharmacy, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.

Abstract

One hundred four patients at Brigham and Women's Hospital who received alteplase for acute pulmonary embolism were evaluated. Major bleeding occurred in 20 patients (19.2%). The principal site of bleeding was unknown in 9 (45.0%), gastrointestinal in 6 (30.0%), retroperitoneal in 3 (15.0%), intracranial in 1 (5.0%), and splenic in 1 (5.0%). Independent predictors of major hemorrhage were the administration of catecholamines for systemic arterial hypotension (odds ratio [OR] 115, 95% confidence interval [CI] 9.4 to 1,410.9, p < 0.001), cancer (OR 16.0, 95% CI 3.2 to 80, p = 0.004), diabetes mellitus (OR 9.6, 95% CI 1.7 to 54, p = 0.010), and elevated international normalized ratio before fibrinolysis (OR 5.8, 95% CI 1.5 to 22, p = 0.012).

PMID:
16377297
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk