Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Oncologist. 2005 Mar;10(3):183-90.

Phase II trial of oral rubitecan in previously treated pancreatic cancer patients.

Author information

  • 1III, The Sarah Cannon Cancer Center, 250 25th Avenue North, Suite 110, Nashville, Tennessee 37203, USA. hburris@tnonc.com

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Additional systemic treatments for locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer are needed, as current treatment options produce only modest survival benefits. Rubitecan (Orathecin; Supergen Inc., Dublin, CA, http://www.supergen.com) is an orally active camptothecin derivative with demonstrated responses in patients with pancreatic cancer in early clinical trials. This phase II, open-label trial was developed to assess the safety and efficacy of rubitecan in patients with locally advanced or metastatic pancreatic cancer refractory to conventional chemotherapy.

METHODS:

Fifty-eight patients with failed or relapsed advanced pancreatic cancer after receiving at least one prior chemotherapy regimen were enrolled to receive eight consecutive weeks of treatment with rubitecan at a dose of 1.5 mg/m2 orally on five consecutive days per week, followed by 2 days off therapy, repeatedly. The primary end point was response rate. Time to progression, overall survival, changes in CA19-9 levels, and the composite measure of clinical benefit response were evaluated as secondary end points.

RESULTS:

Among 43 patients with measurable disease, 7% (3/43) achieved partial responses and 16% (7/43) had disease stabilization for an overall response and disease stabilization rate of 23%. All responses were confirmed by independent radiology review. Median survival was longer in responding patients than in the overall study cohort (10 months versus 3 months). Gastrointestinal and hematologic toxicities were the most commonly reported adverse events.

CONCLUSION:

Oral rubitecan produced responses and was well tolerated by heavily pretreated patients with refractory pancreatic cancer. The overall risk-benefit profile of oral rubitecan appears promising, supporting further evaluation in phase III trials in patients with refractory and chemotherapy-naive pancreatic cancer.

PMID:
15793221
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for HighWire
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk