Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Int J Food Microbiol. 2004 Sep 1;95(2):111-8.

Occurrence of Campylobacter in retail foods in Ireland.

Author information

  • 1Veterinary Public Health and Food Safety Research Laboratory, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University College Dublin, Ballsbridge, Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland.


A surveillance study was carried out to determine the prevalence of Campylobacter in a range of retail foods purchased in three Irish cities over a 20-month period between March 2001 and October 2002. In total 2391 food samples were analysed during this period. Campylobacter was isolated from 444 raw chicken (49.9%), 33 turkey (37.5%) and 11 duck samples (45.8%). Lower isolation rates of 7/221 (3.2%), 10/197 (5.1%) and 31/262 (11.8%) were observed for raw beef, pork and lamb, respectively. One sample of pork paté from 120 samples analysed (0.8%) was Campylobacter-positive. A total of three shellfish samples (oysters) from 129 raw specimens examined (2.3%) were found to contain Campylobacter. Low prevalences of the organism (0.9%) were also isolated from fresh mushrooms. Of 62 raw bulk tank milk samples analysed, Campylobacter was recovered in a single sample (1.6%). Campylobacter was not detected in any of the comminuted pork puddings, prepared vegetables and salads, retail sandwiches or cheeses made from unpasteurised milk. In total, 543 Campylobacter were isolated from all of the food samples analysed, of which 453 (83.4%) were confirmed as Campylobacter jejuni and the remaining 90 (16.6%) as Campylobacter coli.

[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk