Format

Send to:

Choose Destination
See comment in PubMed Commons below
Lung Cancer. 2004 Jul;45(1):67-75.

Integrating concurrent navelbine and cisplatin to hyperfractionated radiotherapy in locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients treated with induction and consolidation chemotherapy: feasibility and activity results.

Author information

  • 1Department of Medical Oncology, Institut Clínic de Malalties Hemato-Oncológiques (ICMHO, IDIBAPS), Barcelona University, Hospital Clinic, C/Villarroel 170, Barcelona 08036, Spain. nvinolas@clinic.ub.es

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness and toxicity of a new combination schedule based on concurrent navelbine, cisplatin and hyperfractionated radiotherapy in patients with locally advanced NSCLC treated with platinum and gemcitabine induction and consolidation chemotherapy.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

The 37 patients with pathological confirmed advanced NSCLC (non-surgical stages IIIA and IIIB) were included in the study. All of them were assessable for survival and 32 for response. The treatment schedule consisted of cisplatin (100 mg/m2) or carboplatin (400 mg/m2) on day 1 with gemcitabine (1000 mg/m2) on days 1, 8 and 15. Treatment was given every 28 days for two courses, followed by concurrent administration of accelerated modified hyperfractionated radiotherapy, with concomitant boost, with a total dose of 61.64 Gy administered for 5 weeks, with cisplatin and navelbine, for two courses, finally followed by two courses of the same initial chemotherapy.

RESULTS:

Four patients achieved complete response (12.5%) and 14 (44%) partial response, for an overall objective response rate of 56.5%. After a minimum follow-up duration of 35.5 months, median progression free survival was 12.2 months. The median survival was 15.4 months with actuarial 1-, 2- and 3-year survival of 67, 21 and 15%, respectively. The main toxicity was hematological. There was esophagitis (grades III and IV) in 30% of the patients and there were two treatment-related deaths.

CONCLUSION:

Combined treatment with concurrent radiotherapy and chemotherapy in non-surgical NSCLC is an acceptable treatment modality. However, the toxicity was not negligible.

Copyright 2004 Elsevier Ireland Ltd.

PMID:
15196736
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PubMed Commons home

PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons

    Supplemental Content

    Full text links

    Icon for Elsevier Science
    Loading ...
    Write to the Help Desk